Need to Know

Registration in foreign countries

  • All Ghanaians are encouraged to register with the nearest Ghana Embassy/High Commission in or to their host countries. This helps the Mission to stay in touch with Ghanaians and provide assistance in times of emergency. The registration will also facilitate dissemination of information on events organised by the Ghanaian Missions abroad. All information provided would be kept confidential.

In case of challenges, contact the DSU.

What the Consular Officer can do:

  • Provide information, price advice and consular assistance.
  • Issue emergency travel document if you lose your passport.
  • Contact your relatives or friends to request them to send you emergency funds for your repatriation or other necessary emergency expenses.
  • Notify your next-of-kin in the event that you are injured abroad.
  • Notify your next-of-kin in the event of your arrest or detention.
  • Visit a Ghana citizen who has been arrested or imprisoned, and monitor that due process under the judicial system of the country under its jurisdiction is accorded to him or her.
  • Help to obtain a list of officially registered local lawyers and translation services where this is available.
  • Assist in the arrangements for the return of the remains of a deceased Ghanaian in the event of his/her demise to Ghana.
  • Assist in the arrangements for the return of personal belongings of a deceased Ghanaian.
  • Help you during emergencies such as natural disasters or civil disorder.
  • Certification of documents as a Notary Public.

What the Consular Officer cannot do

  • Pay your medical, hospital, legal, accommodation, travel or other bills.
  • Provide loans or cash.
  • Post bails or pay fines on your behalf.
  • Intervene in the judicial process of a foreign country or ignore local laws.
  • Provide legal advice or initiate court proceedings on your behalf.
  • Act as your guarantor or sponsor.
  • Arrange for your accommodation or for work.

What should you do if arrested?

If you are arrested and charged with an offence when you are abroad, remain calm and co-operative. Request the authorities to inform the Ghana Embassy/High Commission. Ask your relatives and friends to contact the Ghana Embassy/High Commission or the Diaspora Support Unit of the LECB of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Regional Integration in Ghana.

What should you do if your passport is lost/stolen?

  • First, report to the local police and obtain a copy of the report.
  • Secondly, contact the Ghana Embassy/High Commission and inform them of your loss to apply for a Document of Identity.
  • It is advisable for all Ghanaian travelers to make photocopies of their passport when travelling overseas in the event that you lose your identification and travel documents or they are stolen.

What should you do if a Ghanaian dies in Abroad?

  • Get in touch with the Ghana Embassy/High Commission. The Mission will render the necessary advice and assistance, including informing relatives of the deceased in Ghana.

What should you do in the event that a disaster or civil disorder occurs?

  • If in the event of civil unrest which threatens your safety, you should immediately get in touch with the nearest Ghana Embassy/High Commission and provide your contact details.

Stay in Touch

Connect with Ghanaians at home and across the world via the DSU:


Skype: ghdiaspora

Facebook: Ghanaian Diaspora

Tel: +233 (0) 509.679.286 /7


Information on Vehicle Import Duty

Customs Travel Guide